Roxanna Maria Artist History Timeline
1989 – I started sculpting in porcelain; OOAK limited edition pieces.
1990 – Learned about Cernit clay and how to sculpt with polymer.
1992 – Made the first life size Cernit doll 42 inches and did an article on how to for Doll Reader magazine.
1993 – Began doing freelance work for private collectors; polymer clay.
1994 – Four of my pieces were showcased in the Celebrity Doll Museum in Liberace Plaza, Las Vegas, Nevada.
1995 – I received the life-altering news that I had stage 4 lung cancer and would not survive more than 6 months. I spent the next few years undergoing intensive chemotherapy treatments and integrating holistic medicine in fighting her disease.
1997/98 – I continued working from time to time in my art field for private collectors.
1999 – Blessings! I received good news that the cancer treatments were successful; began remission.
20002005 – I continued to build her strength and her skills in her craft.
2007 – I became well enough to tackle my art again full-time. I also worked at Tall Mouse& Michael’s to expand on others areas of my craft and applying these skills to my beautiful art.
2008 – Having been out of the industry for so long, I decided to brush up and catch up on the industry. I took classes with master artists Jack Johnston and Mark Dennis.
2009 – I attended my first IDEX show and followed one year later by showcasing my work at IDEX.
2010 – DOTY Public Choice and Industry Award winner and followed by Dolls of Excellence Awards in preceding years.
2011 – I took an unsalaried position as the International Editor for Pretty Toys magazine in order to be able to publish up-and-coming artists in the industry from around the world who were trying to break into their field of Doll Making. I continue doing the same to this date.
2012 – IDEX closed down. I decided to break into the fine art industry that had a difficult time recognizing doll artists as legitimate artists; I was determined and was juried into the San Diego Museum of Art Artists Guild, Spanish Village and San Diego Sculptures Guild.
2013 – I became a part of fine art galleries such as Gina M.W. Gallery, Long Beach California, SDSG Gallery, San Diego, California, On the Edge Gallery, La Mesa, California.
2013 – I was contracted with Paradise Galleries.
2014-15 – I continued doing shows throughout the US and teaching where ever I could.
2016 – I became a proud member of ODACA.
- Panenek Museum, Czechoslovakia
- Gina M.W. Gallery, Long Beach, CA
- SDSG Gallery, San Diego, CA
- On the Edge Gallery, La Mesa, CA
- Susan Quinlann Doll & Teddy Bear Museum, Santa Barbara, CA
- 2010 DOTY Industry Award
- 2010 DOTY Public Choice Award,
- 2010 Dolls Award of Excellence
- 2011 DOTY Industry Choice Award
- 2012 DOTY Industry Choice Award
- 2013 Dolls Award of Excellence
- 2014 Donors Award San Diego Museum of Art Artist Guild
- 2015 Doty Industry Choice Award
- 2016 Honorable Mention San Diego State Fair
Professional Affiliations and Memberships:
- San Diego Museum of Art Artist Guild, board member at large
- San Diego Sculptors Guild, active membership
- International Artist Doll Registry, Member
- UFDC Member
- Professional Doll Makers Artist Guild, Member
- Pretty Toys Magazine, International Editor
- ODACA Member
- Professional Doll Makers Member
- Dolls Magazine 2015
- Pretty Toys Magazine 2014
- Art Doll Quarterly 2013
- Pretty Toys Magazine 2013
- Dolls Magazine 2013
- Discover Dolls 2012
- Discover Dolls 2012
- Dolls Magazine 2012
- Dolls Magazine 2011
- Dolls Magazine 2010
- Discover Dolls 2010
- Discover Dolls 2009
- Doll Reader
- Doll Making
- Doll Life and more